Friday, June 11, 2010

There's always a first time

for everything....the first time I experienced the chemical reaction between oils and lye thrilled my soul.... the first time I washed with the soap I created.... made me so happy and to wonder. " Can this be what I was made to truly do?" Soapmaking, spinning fibers into yarns to knit, photography, felting, purse-making..on...and on....... have been me finding my identity. But.....I always seemed to put my " art" on the back burner......

I use to define myself by my career in caring for animals medically & ethically. I've always created...art, soap, beauty products, photos...it is ....I have found, who I really am.


For years I gave everything I created away. My husband, sister, and some friends would say why in the world. I always thought give it away and they'll want to buy the next time. Well, that's not how it turned out. People loved my things, but didn't want to pay for them. Bruised my ego really bad.

After I started working as a Vet Tech, some of the Drs. loved my things and would buy them. One who turned out to be my dearest friend...Dr. Sherri Valerio, was my most faithful buyer...still to this very day! Her and my sister Patricia, have nudged me along...encouraging me, and giving me valuable advice and feedback. Both being totally frank about me undercutting myself, and not thinking a piece was worth what it really was .... ( or not valuing my time either) Both have gone out into the world and promoted my art...they have been responsible for sales I would've never gone out and grabbed.

I opened my Etsy Shop almost a month ago..it will be a month on the 15th.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/helewes I've always wanted to do that...I was just too frightened...guess who's not frightened anymore?

Thank-you God, Patty, Marty, Jan H., Sharon, Beth, and Sherri Lynne .

1 comment:

  1. I like your soaps...very interesting looking. The Vanilla Bean Brown Sugar one really caught my eye. :)

    ReplyDelete